Organic Farmers

Organic agriculture uses cultural, biological and mechanical practices that foster cycling of resources, promote ecological balance and conserve biodiversity. Synthetic fertilizers, sewage sludge, irradiation and genetic engineering may not be used. Whether you’re an established organic operation or thinking about transitioning to organic, USDA has available programs and services.

Organic Standards

Agricultural Marketing Service manages the National Organic Program and sets and enforces the national standards that protect the integrity of the USDA Organic Seal. They also list the Certification status of all organic farms and businesses in the U.S. Learn how to get certified, locate a certifier or even how to become a certifier.

Need Help Transitioning to Organic?

The Organic Transition Initiative is a new suite of multi-agency programs to support farmers transitioning to organic production, including: 

  • Transition to Organic Partnership Program, providing field-based assistance, workshops, field days, access to resources and peer-to-peer mentoring for transitioning farmers.
  • Direct Support through Conservation and Crop Insurance for transitioning and existing organic farmers.
  • Improving Organic Supply Chain Security in targeted markets to ensure transitioned products have access to processing, storage, distribution, and consumer markets.

Need Help with Organic Certification Fees?

The Organic Certification Cost Share Program (OCCSP) covers 50% or up to $500 per category of certification costs. Categories include crops, wild crops, livestock, processing/handling and state organic program fees.   

Meanwhile, the Organic and Transitional Education and Certification Program (OTECP) covers: 

  • Certification costs for organic producers and handlers (25% or $250 per category) 
  • Eligible expenses for transitional producers, including fees for pre-certification inspections and development of an organic system plan (75% or $750)
  • Registration fees for educational events (75% or $200)
  • Soil testing (75% or $100)

Learn more in our May 16, 2022 news release.

USDA organic seal

USDA Data, Research, and Support

Learn about Organic Economic and Market Information, Organic Trade, and Organic Production Surveys.

Through Organic Research, Education, and Extension Programs, USDA funds extension efforts with land-grant universities across the country, as well as research to support the continued growth of the organic sector.

Participate in USDA Extension’s eOrganic community of practice.

Learn more at USDA Organic

Why Work with USDA

clipboard with information to provide guidance and assistance

Guidance and Technical Assistance

For conservation assistance – from high tunnels to biodiversity and composting facilities -- check out NRCS Assistance for Organics. We can help you comply with organic regulations and develop a conservation plan based on your goals and priorities for your land. In some cases, your conservation plan can be used as a part of your organic system plan when you apply for certification. Sometimes, we can also help you pay for the costs of conservation practices.


Access to Capital

Organic farmers can apply for the same loans and programs as conventional farmers.

Access to capital enables you to buy or lease land, buy equipment, build or upgrade storage facilities, and help with other operating costs. Learn more about access to land and capital.

If you want to establish conservation buffer zones, you may be interested in a 10-15 year contract through the Conservation Reserve Program to establish shrubs and trees, or support pollinating species.

See more information on other USDA funding like farm loans.

insurance icon

Insurance and Disaster Assistance

Agriculture is an inherently risky business. It’s important to plan for everyday business risks and those brought on by natural disasters. Federal crop insurance and the Noninsured Crop Disaster Assistance Program are good options for managing risk.

We also offer disaster assistance to help your farm recover.

How to Work with USDA

Service Centers


Your first step should be to contact your USDA Service Center and make an appointment. Be sure to ask what documents you’ll need. Also consider -- what is your vision for your land and farm? What are your challenges?

If you need information in a language other than English, we can offer free translation services.

Farmer Coordinators


Beginning Farmer and Rancher Coordinators are USDA team members that can help you understand the USDA process and find the right assistance for your operation. We have coordinators across the country, and some states also have organic champions.

Self-Service Options


Learn how to sign up for a account. You can view loan information and manage conservation business online here.

We also have a number of tools to help you: find the right loan; learn about recovery options after natural disasters; or discover conservation options.

Historically Underserved Farmers and Ranchers

We offer help for the unique concerns of producers who meet the USDA definition of “historically underserved” -- beginning, socially disadvantaged, limited resource, and military veterans. In addition, women in agriculture are helping to pave the way for a better future. Use this tool to determine if you’re a limited resource producer.

Urban Growers

Learn about the resources available for Urban Growers and then about Urban Farming Grants and Cooperative Agreements available from USDA’s Office of Urban Agriculture and Innovative Production.

Get Involved

In addition to our farm programs, there are many leadership opportunities for beginning farmers to contribute their voices and experience. Through USDA, you can take advantage of several key opportunities like committee elections, research and promotion programs, and federal advisory committees.

Learn more about how to connect with your agricultural community

Find Your Local Service Center

USDA Service Centers are locations where you can connect with Farm Service Agency, Natural Resources Conservation Service, or Rural Development employees for your business needs. Enter your state and county below to find your local service center and agency offices. If this locator does not work in your browser, please visit

Visit the Risk Management Agency website to find a regional or compliance office or to find an insurance agent near you.