Get Started at Your USDA Service Center

USDA Service Centers are offices where you can typically meet face-to-face with USDA, Farm Service Agency (FSA) and Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) staff to discuss your vision, goals, and ways USDA can help. In most places, both agencies are co-located in the same service center. Depending on your needs, you will likely work with both the FSA county offices and NRCS field offices. In total, USDA employs FSA and NRCS staff members in 2,300 offices nationwide.

Find Your Local Service Center

We are committed to delivering USDA services to America’s farmers and ranchers while taking safety measures in response to the pandemic. Some USDA offices are beginning to reopen to limited visitors by appointment only. Service Center staff also continue to work with agricultural producers via phone, email, and other digital tools. Learn more at

USDA Service Centers are locations where you can connect with Farm Service Agency, Natural Resources Conservation Service, or Rural Development employees for your business needs. Enter your state and county below to find your local service center and agency offices. If this locator does not work in your browser, please visit

Visit the Risk Management Agency website to find a regional or compliance office or to find an insurance agent near you.

USDA Service Center Agencies

Farm Service Agency

FSA provides disaster assistance, safety net, farm loan, and conservation programs and is the go-to agency for many USDA records. If you’re new to working with USDA, your FSA team member will help you register your farm with a farm number. Depending on what you raise or grow, filing an acreage report each season can ensure you’re eligible for many programs and allows you to vote in county FSA elections.

Natural Resources Conservation Service

NRCS provides financial and technical assistance and easement programs for conservation on working lands. Your NRCS team member will ask about your goals for your land and can help you develop a conservation plan and file an application for the wide range of NRCS programs.

How to Work With Your USDA Service Center

  1. Make an appointment. Due to the pandemic, some USDA offices are open to limited visitors. Please call or email your Service Center to set up an appointment. This will also ensure quick service. Our offices can get busy, especially at times around program sign-up and reporting deadlines.
  2. Prepare. Ask what documents you will need to help to make the most of your appointment. Examples could include lease agreements, bank account information, inventory or production records, legal paperwork, or personal identification numbers.
  3. Think about your vision. What is your vision for your land and farm? What are your challenges?

During Your Visit

  1. Register for a farm number. This is required to  participate in USDA programs. You will need an official tax identification (Social Security number or employer ID) and a property deed. If you do not own the land, you will need your lease agreement. If your operation is incorporated or an entity, we may need proof of your signature authority and legal ability to sign contracts with USDA.
  2. Discuss your business and conservation goals. Your local FSA or NRCS team members need to understand your vision to recommend programs for your operation. For example, are you looking for access to capital, to rebuild after a natural disaster, or to improve your farm’s soil health, improve irrigation, or attract more wildlife?
  3. Make a plan to meet conservation compliance provisions and do an environmental review. You'll need to file form AD-1026 to ensure wetland areas and highly erodible lands are not farmed, unless following an NRCS conservation plan. This, and the environmental compliance review, are required for all USDA program eligibility, including disaster assistance.
  4. Verify eligibility. For most USDA programs, producers must file a CCC-941 form to verify they do not exceed an adjusted gross income of $900,000.
  5. File your program application. We can help you complete the forms.
  6. Sign up for email or text updates. This will help you stay informed about program signups or deadlines.

After Your Visit

  1. File your acreage reports throughout the year.
  2. Keep in touch with your local office. Let us know if your business changes or you experience a disaster or hardship.
  3. Learn about self-service options. Create a account to manage some of your USDA business independently.


Additional USDA Agencies & Extension

Risk Management Agency (RMA)


Using new tools provided by the Farm Bill, RMA is working to reduce crop insurance costs for beginning farmers and ranchers.

Rural Development (RD)


RD provides loans, grants, loan guarantees, and technical assistance, along with support for affordable housing, infrastructure modernization, businesses, cooperatives, and other essential community services.

Cooperative Extension


USDA and agricultural colleges around the country work together to support an extensive network of State, regional, and county Cooperative Extension offices, which can help answer questions you may have about your operation and address common issues faced by agricultural producers.