Row Crop Operations

Does your operation include row crops? USDA offers a variety of programs and services that support your working land. Whether you grow corn or cotton, soybeans or sorghum, we have options for you.


USDA may be able to help you access capital. And we can be a good partner if you aren’t able to get funding from a traditional lender.

Farm Loans

We offer loans directly through USDA and also guarantee loans through other lenders.

Loans available directly through USDA range from $50,000 microloans to a maximum of $400,000 for operating loans and up to $600,000 for ownership loans.

Alternatively, you can apply for a guaranteed loan through USDA-approved banks and other commercial lenders. The maximum loan amount for a Guaranteed Farm Operating Loan is adjusted annually each Fiscal Year based on inflation.

Underlined Header
Ownership Loans

Underlined Paragraph Content

Ownership loans are available to help you purchase land and equipment.

Loan Amounts

Underlined Header
Operating Loans

Underlined Paragraph Content

Operating loans help you meet day-to-day costs.

Loan Amounts

Underlined Header
Combined Ownership & Operating Loans

Underlined Paragraph Content

Combined ownership & operating loans help purchase land and equipment and meet day-to-day costs.

Loan Amounts

More information on these loans can be found in our Farm Loan Assistance Tool.

Other Loans

USDA also offers:

Contact the Farm Service Agency at your local USDA Service Center to learn more about loan options for your operation.

Protection and Recovery

Depending on where you farm, natural disasters like floods, wildfires, or drought may impact your operation.

Risk Protection

USDA provides risk protection by offering:

Federal crop insurance for specific row crops. To explore crop insurance, contact an Approved Insurance Provider.

Whole-Farm Revenue Protection (WFRP) for all commodities on your farm under one insurance policy.

Noninsured Crop Disaster Assistance Program (NAP) for crops that are otherwise non-insurable.

Agriculture Risk (ARC) and Price Loss Coverage (PLC) programs provide financial protections to farmers from substantial drops in crop prices or revenues and are vital economic safety nets for most American farms.

Disaster Assistance Programs

If disaster strikes, we offer other disaster assistance programs to offset losses and get you back on your feet. 

Emergency loans, for instance, provide up-front funding to support recovery, and the Emergency Conservation Program covers costs of restoring conservation practices. 

For other disaster programs, contact the Farm Service Agency (FSA) at your local USDA Service Center or use the Disaster Assistance Discovery Tool.

Hemp Coverage 

It is now legal to grow industrial hemp due to a reclassification in the 2018 Farm Bill. If you’re a hemp producer, your crop may be eligible for RMA's Whole-Farm Revenue Protection and Multi-Peril Crop Insurance coverage and FSA's Noninsured Crop Disaster Assistance Program.

Visit for information specific to hemp and USDA’s Farm Programs.


We can help you plan and implement conservation practices to benefit both natural resources and your bottom line.


The Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) will work with you to discuss your goals and develop a conservation plan for your operation. If you want to get started at home, you can also use our Conservation Concerns Tool to explore the different types of conservation issues that could impact the natural resources and productivity of your farm and conservation practices that might be right for you.

Common Conservation Activities

NRCS can share the cost with producers to implement conservation activities through the Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP) and Conservation Stewardship Program (CSP).

Common conservation activities for row crop farms include:



No-till minimizes disturbance events across your operation to build healthier soils, reduce erosion, and reduce fuel costs.

Cover Crops


Cover crops maximize soil cover year-round to reduce erosion, provide food for organisms that cycle the nutrients you plants need, improve water infiltration, and increase soil organic matter.

Conservation Crop Rotation


Conservation crop rotation can reduce pests and diseases that are specific to certain plant species, build the health of soil microbes that provide nutrients to your plants, and ultimately lead to improved yields.


If certain parts of your farm are not ideal for cultivation, conservation easements or longer-term conservation options may be right for you. For example, the Agricultural Conservation Easement Program (ACEP) provides options for fields that frequently flood. 

To learn more about conservation, contact the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) or Farm Service Agency (FSA) at your local USDA Service Center

Find Your Local Service Center

Ver en:

USDA Service Centers are locations where you can connect with Farm Service Agency, Natural Resources Conservation Service, or Rural Development employees for your business needs. Enter your state and county below to find your local service center and agency offices. If this locator does not work in your browser, please visit

Learn more about our Urban Service Centers.

Visit the Risk Management Agency website to find a regional or compliance office or to find an insurance agent near you.