The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) offers a wide range of programs to help agricultural producers grow organically, for both certified and transitioning operations. In the past year, USDA has upped its investments for organic agriculture, including the new Organic Transition Initiative (OTI) that helped create new programs as well as bolster support for existing ones.
You can learn more at webinar on June 6, 2023 at 2 p.m. ET. RSVP for the Zoom event.
Presenters from USDA’s Farm Service Agency (FSA), Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS), Risk Management Agency (RMA), and Agricultural Marketing Service (AMS) will share information on:
- Assistance with certification costs;
- Access to capital, including loans to help with wash and pack stations, cold storage, portable cold storage, purchasing land and equipment, and operational costs;
- Assistance for organic dairy producers;
- Technical and financial assistance for conservation practices, including the $70 million in additional funding for NRCS conservation programs through OTI;
- Risk management options and benefits for organic producers;
- Changes for producers required by the Strengthening Organic Enforcement final rule;
- New wrap-around support for transitioning and existing organic farmers; and
- New grant funding for organic processors and brands.
Speakers to include:
- Christopher Vazquez, FSA Organic Cost Share Certification Program Manager;
- Toni Williams, FSA Farm Storage Facility Loan, Sugar Storage Facility Loan, and Sugar Loan Program Manager;
- Lindsay Haines, NRCS National Organic and Pest Management Specialist;
- Lane Webb, RMA Risk Management Specialist; and
- Penny Zuck, AMS National Organic Program Agricultural Marketing Specialist.
There will be a question-and-answer session, enabling attendees to ask questions. A recording will be available after the webinar.
- Farmers.gov: Organic Transition Initiative, Organic Farmers
- FSA: Organic Certification Cost Share Program, Organic Dairy Marketing Assistance Program, Farm Storage Facility Loans
- NRCS: Organic Training and Webinars, OTI for Conservation
- RMA: Transitional Organic Grower Assistance Program, Whole-Farm Revenue Protection, Micro Farm
- AMS: Transition to Organic Partnership Program, Organic Market Development Grant