Organic Transition Initiative Direct Farmer Assistance

USDA’s Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) can help you transition to organic through the Organic Transition Initiative (OTI). We’ll also have new organic experts to support NRCS staff and host hands-on organic training and fielding organic-related staff questions.

How It Works

The new organic management standard gives you the flexibility to get the assistance and education you need such as attending workshops or requesting help from experts or mentors.

It supports conservation activities and practices required for organic certification and may provide foregone income reimbursement for dips in production during the transition period.

For example, the National Organic Standards support composting, outdoor access for livestock, and organic nutrient management which are all covered through the Environmental Quality Incentives Program under the new standard.

Flexible education and training activities can include field days, working alongside organic experts and more. You can work with NRCS field staff, approved technical service providers, and other approved organic partners.

How to Apply

Eligible producers include farmers, ranchers, forest landowners, and other producers beginning or in the process of transitioning to organic certification.

You can apply through NRCS at your local USDA Service Center.

Higher payment rates and other options are available for underserved producers including socially disadvantaged, beginning, veteran, and limited resource farmers and ranchers. 

Other Assistance for Organic Producers

Organic producers are eligible for all USDA programs and assistance, including Farm Service Agency’s Organic Certification Cost Share Assistance and NRCS programs and assistance, including the targeted EQIP National Organic Initiative. Learn more about the ways USDA supports organic agriculture at

Find Your Local Service Center

Ver en:

USDA Service Centers are locations where you can connect with Farm Service Agency, Natural Resources Conservation Service, or Rural Development employees for your business needs. Enter your state and county below to find your local service center and agency offices. If this locator does not work in your browser, please visit

Learn more about our Urban Service Centers.

Visit the Risk Management Agency website to find a regional or compliance office or to find an insurance agent near you.