The 2018 Farm Bill provides support, certainty, and stability to our nation’s farmers, ranchers, and forest managers by enhancing farm support programs, improving crop insurance, maintaining disaster programs, and promoting and supporting voluntary conservation.
The 2018 Farm Bill, enacted December 20, 2018, builds upon many of the crucial programs that serve America’s agricultural producers. USDA is implementing this new bill, which includes seeking public input on programs and provisions and designing guidelines. In the meantime, programs authorized by the 2014 Farm Bill are available to serve producers now.
Farmers' Guide to 2018 USDA Farm Bill Programs
USDA offers a variety of risk management, disaster assistance, loan, and conservation programs to support your operation. This guide describes assistance for farmers, ranchers, and private forest landowners available through the 2018 Farm Bill.
Download this brochure in:
2018 Farm Bill Updates
We know you are interested in learning about FSA, NRCS, and RMA programs supported by the 2018 Farm Bill. Here are resources for key changes, feedback from USDA listening sessions, and the latest USDA Farm Bill news.
The 2018 Farm Bill continued funding for USDA’s major programs that serve you. The new legislation did prescribe changes to some of these programs:
- What’s New with Farm Service Agency Programs (PDF, 111KB)
- What’s New and What Has Changed with Farm Service Agency Programs (PDF, 366KB)
- What’s New with Natural Resources Conservation Service Programs (PDF, 209KB)
- What’s New with Risk Management Agency Programs (PDF, 116KB)
The 2018 Farm Bill reclassified hemp, and it is now legal to grow industrial hemp. Learn more.
As part of implementing the Farm Bill, USDA is conducting listening sessions to provide an opportunity for producers and USDA stakeholders to share their thoughts about how USDA can streamline and improve program delivery and customer service.
USDA's Farm Service Agency is hosting two listening sessions to obtain feedback on the 2018 Farm Bill provisions regarding the Heir's Property Relending Program and issues surrounding heirs' property landowners obtaining farm numbers. The first listening session is July 31 in Jackson, Mississippi. Register online. The second is August 14 in Washington. D.C. Register online.
USDA has held 10-plus listening sessions, including a session on February 26, where FSA, Natural Resources Conservation Service, and Risk Management Agency gathered feedback on programs for farmers and ranchers. Watch a video below or on YouTube.
USDA staff is working to evaluate your feedback and implement the 2018 Farm Bill. Read our latest news:
- November 12, 2019: USDA Invites Input on Conservation Stewardship Program Rule
- October 29, 2019: USDA Establishes Domestic Hemp Production Program
- October 15, 2019: USDA Opens 2020 Enrollment for Agriculture Risk Coverage and Price Loss Coverage Programs
- October 7, 2019: USDA Opens 2020 Enrollment for Dairy Margin Coverage Program
- September 27, 2019: USDA Seeking Comments on Conservation Reserve Program Environmental Assessment
- September 19, 2019: More Time Provided for Dairy Producers to Enroll in DMC Program
- September 13, 2019: USDA Awards $48 Million Public-Private Investment to Improve Critical Wetlands
- September 10, 2019: USDA Reminds Producers: 2019 Enrollment Deadline for the Dairy Margin Coverage Program Is Sept. 20
- September 3, 2019: USDA Opens 2019 Enrollment for Agriculture Risk Coverage and Price Loss Coverage Programs
- September 3, 2019: USDA to Invest up to $300 Million in Partner-Driven Conservation
- August 30, 2019: RMA Announces Changes to Whole-Farm Revenue Protection Policy for 2020
- August 27, 2019: Hemp Crop Insurance Coverage Available for 2020
- July 24, 2019: NRCS Offers more than $200 Million in Emergency Funding to Restore Flood-Prone Lands: 11 states identified to invest in floodplain easements
- July 11, 2019: USDA Now Making Payments for New Dairy Margin Coverage Program
- June 28, 2019: USDA Adds Flexibility for Cover Crop Management in Crop Year 2020
- June 26, 2019: USDA Farm Bill Implementation Progress Update
- June 21, 2019: USDA Offers Producers Options to Re-enroll or Extend Expiring CRP Contracts
- June 20, 2019: USDA Announces Feral Swine Eradication and Control Pilot Program
- June 13, 2019: Secretary Perdue Announces New Dairy Margin Coverage Signup Begins June 17
- May 30, 2019: USDA Announces Availability of $12.5 million in Conservation Innovation Grants
- May 24, 2019: USDA Reminds Producers of Approaching Marketing Assistance Loan Deadlines
- May 22, 2019: Crop Insurance Benefits Available to Military Veteran Farmers, Ranchers
- May 16, 2019: USDA Seeks Project Proposals to Protect and Restore Critical Wetlands
- May 15, 2019: USDA Opens Signup for New On-Farm Trials Effort
- May 15, 2019: USDA Reopens Continuous CRP Signup
- May 7, 2019: USDA Announces Dual Use Insurance Coverage for Grain/Graze
- May 7, 2019: USDA Announces March Income over Feed Cost Margin Triggers Third 2019 Dairy Safety Net Payment
- May 6, 2019: USDA Accepting Applications to Help Cover Producers’ Costs for Organic Certification
- May 6, 2019: NRCS Announces Changes to Strengthen Technical Input in Conservation Programs
- May 3, 2019: USDA Announces Repayment Options for Producers with Coverage in Previous Margin Protection Program for Dairy
- April 30, 2019: USDA Announces New Decision Tool for New Dairy Margin Coverage Program
- April 22, 2019: USDA Announces Enhancements to Livestock and Dairy Insurance Programs
- April 18, 2019: USDA Announces February Income over Feed Cost Margin Triggers Second 2019 Dairy Safety Net Payment
- April 12, 2019: Higher Limits Now Available on USDA Farm Loans
- April 8, 2019: USDA Announces Buy-Up Coverage Availability and New Service Fees for Noninsured Crop Coverage Policies
- March 22, 2019: Dairy Producers Previously Enrolled in the Livestock Gross Margin Program Now Eligible for 2018 Margin Protection Program
- March 13, 2019: USDA Outlines Eligibility for 2019 Supplemental Coverage Option Regarding Elections for Agriculture Risk Coverage and Price Loss Coverage
- March 11, 2019: USDA Seeks Public Comments on Conservation Practice Standards
- March 6, 2019: USDA Announces January Income over Feed Cost Margin Triggers First 2019 Dairy Safety Net Payment
- February 12, 2019: USDA To Host 2018 Farm Bill Implementation Listening Sessions