is not optimized for this browser. Please use the latest versions of Chrome, Edge, or Safari for the best experience. Dismiss

Crop Acreage Reports

Crop acreage reports filed with USDA document the crops grown on your farm or ranch and their intended uses. You must file timely acreage reports to be eligible for many USDA programs.

Each year, USDA agencies collect data relating to crops through crop acreage reports. If you want to participate in many USDA programs, including crop insurance, safety net, and disaster assistance programs, you must file timely acreage reports to remain eligible for program benefits. Filing an accurate and timely acreage report for all crops and land uses, including failed acreage and prevented planted acreage, can prevent the loss of benefits.


Relevant Deadlines


Deadlines to file crop acreage reports vary by crop and by state and county. 

Farm Service Agency staff at your local USDA Service Center can help by providing you with maps and acreage reporting deadlines by crop for your county. Your crop insurance agent can assist you with reporting information necessary for crop insurance benefits.

July 15 is a major deadline for most crops. Due to the pandemic, FSA has implemented acreage reporting flexibilities, including:

  • Waiving the late fee for 30 days for all remaining acreage reporting dates for the 2020 crop year (including the July 15 deadline).


How Crop Acreage Reporting Works  

Contact your local USDA Service Center to make an appointment to file your acreage report with FSA or contact your crop insurance agent

To file a crop acreage report, you will need to provide:

  • crop and crop type or variety;
  • intended use of the crop;
  • number of acres of the crop;
  • map with approximate boundaries for the crop;
  • planting date(s);
  • planting pattern, when applicable;
  • producer shares;
  • irrigation practice(s);
  • acreage prevented from planting, when applicable; and
  • other information as required.

FSA is working with producers to file timely acreage reports by phone, email, online tools, and virtual meetings. Due to the pandemic, some FSA offices are open for in-person appointments, but you must call first to make an appointment. 

Many FSA offices are using Microsoft Teams software to virtually meet with producers to review maps and documents for certification. Producers who want to schedule a virtual appointment can download the Microsoft Teams app on their smart phone or tablet and call the FSA office for an appointment. You may also use Microsoft Teams from your personal computer without downloading software.  

County offices can provide producers with maps along with instructions for completing and returning the maps through either mail, email, or through commercially available free and secure online tools such as Box for file sharing and OneSpan for eSignature solutions. After planting is complete, producers should return completed maps and the acreage reporting sheet by the applicable deadline.

Acreage reports for approved crops are electronically shared between FSA and Risk Management Agency, which eliminates the need for duplicate entry of the same acreage reporting information. However, you must still contact both FSA and your crop insurance agent to complete program-specific information, validate the common information, complete maps, and sign your acreage reports.


Crop Acreage Reporting Details



FSA Fact Sheet - Crop Acreage Reporting: What You Need to Know


Find Your Local Service Center

We are committed to delivering USDA services to America’s farmers and ranchers while taking safety measures in response to COVID-19. While employees continue to staff our Service Centers, some are only available for phone appointments at this time. You can learn the status of your service center through this tool. Learn more at

USDA Service Centers are locations where you can connect with Farm Service Agency, Natural Resources Conservation Service, or Rural Development employees for your business needs. Enter your state and county below to find your local service center and agency offices. If this locator does not work in your browser, please visit

Visit the Risk Management Agency website to find a regional or compliance office or to find an insurance agent near you.