[Archived] Agriculture Risk Coverage and Price Loss Coverage Programs 2021

The Agriculture Risk (ARC) and Price Loss Coverage (PLC) programs provide financial protections to farmers from substantial drops in crop prices or revenues and are vital economic safety nets for most American farms.

[This page has been archived.] Enrollment for the 2021 crop year for ARC and PLC closed on March 15, 2021. Information on the 2022 edition of this program is available on the FSA website.

How ARC & PLC Programs Work

Under the 2018 Farm Bill, farmers and landowners can choose between three commodity title alternatives: ARC-CO (payment based on county revenue), ARC-IC (payment based on individual farm revenue), and PLC (payment based on market year average). Program details for each are outlined below.



Program Eligibility, Election, & Enrollment


All farm producers with interest in the cropland must make a unanimous election in 2019 of either ARC-CO or PLC on a crop-by-crop basis. Farmers can also choose Individual Agriculture Risk Coverage (ARC-IC) for all covered commodity base acres on a farm.

This election will apply to the farm for 2020 and 2021 crop years. Program election changes are permitted in crop years 2022 and 2023.


To be eligible for payments, producers must annually enroll their respective share interest of covered commodity base acres. For 2020 and subsequent years, enrollment will occur on a covered commodity-by-covered commodity base acre crop basis.

Contact your Farm Service Agency office at your local USDA Service Center for more information.


Program Details



USDA and Partner Web-Based ARC/PLC Decision Tools

  • 2018 Farm Bill Decision Aid: This tool was created by the Agricultural and Food Policy Center at Texas A&M University, in conjunction with the Food and Agricultural Policy Institute at the University of Missouri.
  • ARC/PLC Calculator: This tool was created by the National Coalition for Producer Education, led by the University of Illinois.

Fact Sheets, Payment Maps, and Program Data


Find Your Local Service Center

Ver en:

USDA Service Centers are locations where you can connect with Farm Service Agency, Natural Resources Conservation Service, or Rural Development employees for your business needs. Enter your state and county below to find your local service center and agency offices. If this locator does not work in your browser, please visit

Learn more about our Urban Service Centers.

Visit the Risk Management Agency website to find a regional or compliance office or to find an insurance agent near you.